Friday, March 25, 2011

A Knock Out for Cancer

My dear friend Rhonda is fighting the battle for her life.  I met her over three years ago when she became my hair stylist.  Even then she had been through surgeries and chemo, yet beat the odds.  I have never met anyone as courageous and full of life as this beautiful woman.  She's a wife, a mom, a grandmother, a sister, and a friend to so many. Her son is serving in the Army in Afghanistan.  Rhonda has dedicated so much of her time and energy to the American Cancer Society Relay for Life here in southwest Missouri. 

At this time Rhonda is enduring extraordinary pain and discomfort with treatment that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  Yet she holds on to memories and stories that make her laugh.  She can find so much to be thankful for through it all.  Her faith is so strong and her family so close and loving.  Rhonda's sister Tammy keeps us all informed through a wonderful online journal called caringbridge.org and writes with such love and thankfulness.  She has shared stories of their childhood that leave me laughing out loud.  Even though I didn't know Rhonda then I can see her love of life in that young girl of Tammy's stories. 


When I saw the Kenny K Challenge last week DT member Vanessa's card jumped out at me, so I totally cased it for a card for Rhonda.  It is just the thing that Rhonda would giggle about. 
This is "Strong Island" and she looks like she can take on anything, just like Rhonda. When Rhonda started this latest round of treatment I threatened to have her dye my hair pink in support.  She didn't recommend that, but I figured it was appropriate for this card! The touches of gold convey how precious this brave woman is to me. 

Rhonda, this is for you! I love you and miss you! And to Tammy, you are truly a blessing to Rhonda and the whole family.  We friends appreciate all you do to keep us posted on Rhonda's progress.  God bless you all!


Blog Signature

3 comments:

DonnaMundinger said...

Beautiful card, Barb! Sure to be appreciated. I'll be keeping Rhonda in my thoughts and prayers. xxD

Lynette said...

Great card, Barb, and I wish Rhonda success in her battle.

Tina said...

beautiful card...wishing rhonda the best..my mom faught and sadly is not here anymore...tell her to keep strong

Tina