Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Phindy's Place Challenge --- Color Wheel........

........ and another birthday card.

When I saw the challenge at Phindy's Place I thought it would be fun to use the color wheel and I added a bit of a twist.  I took the wheel in my hand, closed my eyes, and started turning the center circle.  The idea was that I would use the color combination that came up.  For me, not a great idea, because it couldn't have been a harder color combination for me to work up.  Especially since I had a new Phindy's image of Mrs. Comfort that I wanted to use specifically for a dear friend's birthday card.  

First, the color wheel as it landed...........
 My mission was to make a card using yellow orange and purple.  My two least favorite colors.  But I wanted to make a birthday card with this new image, and I hope my friend likes how it turned out.
P.S.:  My friend, Peggy, who I can now reveal is the recipient of this card, asked about the color wheel.  I realized it is not clear with this scanned image where I was actually looking to get my color combo.  There are two little triangles with stars in them and they are opposites on the color wheel.  Actually, I could have used the little black arrows, too, but I didn't see those till I just now read the directions on how to use this thing!  I don't remember where I bought this but it is by EK Success and comes with detailed instructions.  It's like a slide rule for colors! It is one of those Oldie But Goodies things that I don't use often --- but SHOULD!  

After coloring the image the real challenge was finding paper in my stash to make the card.  I have a bad habit of coloring the images then matching the papers.  That can be tricky at times!  I should know better by now!

The image is colored with Copics.  The chair and the robe are done in the colors from the wheel, or pretty close.  The knitting project is in red as that is a pretty good third color for the combo.  

I included a photo of the inside to show the accessory image, the yard skein and balls, which I almost forgot to place in the card!  I don't remember where I found the sentiment, but I keep it in my favorites.

I think this card turned out ok.  One thing is for sure -- it is filled with lots of happy birthday wishes, big hugs, and a lot of love for being such a caring and inspiring friend!  Happy Birthday, PM aka WA!

5 comments:

The Wired Angel said...

I am so flattered, Barb.. I just received this lovely card this evening and it's beautiful. Knowing you, I know that you made this specifically for me. What a keeper! (you and the card!) Thank you so much... Hugs, Peggy x

Catherine said...

Beautiful card and your shading is fab! Thanks for joining us at Phindys place this week...

Joan Ervin said...

This is such a pretty card, Barb....the image is darling, your coloring is beautiful, and I love the pretty papers and embellies!!!!!

Anne said...

Yes, I've got caught out so many times by colouring and then finding that the paper to match does not exist lol! Barb this is gorgeous and you must be so please with it, hope you're glad we challenged you to come up with such a great creation:) Thank you for joining in with this week’s Phindy’s Place Challenge, do hope you’ll play again this Friday!
Hugs
Anne

DonnaMundinger said...

I'm trying to find my paper first, but it doesn't always happen. this turned out beautifully and the sentiment is so special. xxD