Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Making a Living as an Artist

Heidi left me a very good question in the comments of my previous post. She asked, "What are your comments about making a living in art? Liking it? Having success?" So, I thought I would discuss that in a post, rather than in the comments, and invite input from others who are making a living in arts and crafts.

Heidi, very good question. I am liking it because I have a head full of ideas -- more than I can keep up with! There have been frustrations, especially with the sudden down turn in the economy. This is a highly respected arts and crafts community, which is just one of the reasons for moving here. But, as with many other tourist areas, the gas prices severely stifled business. So, in that respect, it's been hard to get started building revenue. However, the tremendous drop in gas and the coming of the holidays are having a very positive impact on our number of visitors. In turn, I have sold more cards this month than the last five months combined. That is very encouraging! I'm hoping that the photography will take off soon, also.

I am not about to give up. My husband took an over-the-road trucking job for the pay so I can continue to strive for success. Once my products start to get into the hands of others word begins to spread, but that does take time. I will be going online with Etsy, for one and with other stock photo sites. Again, I need to be prepared for a slow start. As for the photography, there are a variety of outlets for that, including self-publishing a book.

So, that is the long answer to Heidi's question. The short answer is that I love it, it takes a lot of time, and I need to be patient.

Heidi has also started to put her terrific art on line at Cafe Press. I would love to get input and discussion from any of you who have taken the path of working artist, and I'm sure Heidi would, too.

4 comments:

Myrt said...

Hi Barb:
I'm certainly not an 'artist' but if anybody has what it takes, it's you, Barb, and I wish you all the success. You have a wonderful attitude.

Barbara said...

Thank you, Myrt!You are very kind. Did I mention that encouragement from friends and family is a big part of success, too?

Nestor Family said...

Thank you so much, Barb, for the post answer to my questions. As I start to look into this, your comments here give me a good starting point (as that is where you are!)

And I can't thank you enough for mentioning my CafePress site. You are a gem! (I will definitely send my mother-in-law your way on their next trip to Branson to pick up some cards! ;-)

I can imagine the economy is going to affect all artists and crafters... hmmm... keep creating away, though, right? It's all we can do.

Ryann said...

Barb, thank you so much for the sweet comments you left on my blog! I wish you the very best of luck in your journey :-)